Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Things I've learned

Last Monday marked our third month of being at Horn Creek and I thought you all deserved an update on what's been happening.

Here's a couple things I've learned in those three months:

This year needs to be about serving and community. The first part of October was hard for me (Amy) and I think it was because I was so focused on wanting to do program and on proving that I would be good at it that I made myself miserable and I'd get frustrated with the jobs I was given if they weren't what I wanted. Jeff, who happens to be very good at reading most of us, and I had a talk about it and I worked to change my perspective and on changing my attitude to being a servant leader. It's freed me up and I've enjoyed my time here so much more now that I focus on serving and not on getting my way.

Urban youth are different than suburban youth but they both need love and attention. The last three weeks four interns at a time have gone up to Denver to help at Open Door Ministries and Sun Valley Youth Center. Both run after school programs for kids from underprivileged families. We all had different experiences but it was good for all of us and eye opening in many ways. I was heartbroken over some of these kids you could see that there had been abuse or neglect and it came out in the way they acted. The work the staff are doing with these kids is awesome and it was so great to be a part of that.

Justin is faster on a board then I am on skis, we've managed to get in some skiing the past few weeks and Justin and I raced. Towards the end of the day I got to where I could still see him as I went down the mountain, which was a huge accomplishment compared to the first race.

When killing a chicken it's easier to pull their head off then to cut it off. James, Justin, Christian, Lauren and I are helping Jeff lead a bible study at high school, several of the kids have experience killing turkeys and chickens and they told us all about it.

We live in a beautiful place. I think I learned that on our first day here but I am continually reminded of that. Today Mel and I walked by three deer on our way to the office. One night we saw a herd of antelope (do they travel in herds?). And another day on the way to church we saw around 30 elk, it was awesome.

Don't be afraid to speak up when you have an idea. The staff at Horn Creek have been awesome about listening to our ideas and letting us run with them. Back in August I approached Doug (our executive director) with an idea about a camp for women coming out of the sex for sale trade and last week Doug, his wife Kathy, Jeff, and I met with the program director at a ministry that works with those women about what we can do to make that happen.

I've learned more but I think your eyes are probably tired, or you're bored so I'll stop. But one final note the most important thing that I've been reminded of is God's unfailing faithfulness, He does not forsake His children!

1 comment:

  1. hey, i hope you guys get to read this, so my name is sarah and i am thinking bout applying to be an intern at horn creek, but here's the thing, i'm not sure bout it all, i mean, i just kinda wanna find out the real dealio with this internship, i liked reading what ya'll are doing here, and i know on blogs you are basically supposed to write all the happy stuff- i understand this cause i lived in africa for four months and i had my own blog- but i know there is nitty gritty stuff that you don't neccessarily get to say, so can you guys like give me some idea some of the struggles you have had, some details of life day in and out- by the way i'm graduating from a christian university (ouachita baptist, ever heard of it?) this May and this is why i'm thinking bout goin into this internship, anyway, if you can comment on my blog, i'll get it through there if you can, thanks guys!!!

    ReplyDelete