Monday, October 5, 2009

One Year

What an incrediable opportunity we have been given this year! God has literally placed a ministry opportuinty in our laps and has allowed us all to be greatly involved. One Year is similiar to Awanas. It is a ministry for children in the community from K-6. Our purpose is to love on these kids in the community and to point them to Jesus in all that we do. The ministry is called One Year because we are doing a study on one year in the Life of Christ. Our heart's desire for these kids is that they will truly feel the love of Chirst. He is so madly in love with every one of them! We want them to walk away feeling loved, vauled, encouraged, and desiring to know God more.

This year we are being poured and poured into. Every staff member and our mentors in the community want us to walk away from this year as better lovers of Jesus. It is very humbling to be so poured into. To feel so loved and vauled. It is amazing that we get the opportunity to pour into others. We get to take time to love on these kids and to be Jesus to them. I feel so blessed and honored to be apart of OneYear.

A night at One Year looks like this: Worship, skits, games, lesson and small groups. Each week we give out a memory verse that is straight from the lesson given. We try do fun things to help motivate the kids to memorize their verse. Some of these have included a leader drinking a mystry drink and shaving heads and beards. This makes for lots of laughs and really gets the kids working on memorizing scripture. Our purpose in doing this is not that they will memorize the verse for one night but that they are planting the Word of God into their hearts.

The title of one year is ironic to me since we will only be involved for one year. I think that is the hard part for me. We have only been doing this ministry for 4 weeks and I have started to really fall in love with these kids. To know that this is just a season and that God is going to move me in a year is tough. To know I will have to walk away from this kids and from the relationships I have made. I can not dwell on that though. If I do I will miss what an incrediable opportunity this is. If I dont pour my entire heart into these kids then I am going to be the one that missed out.

Please pray that we will be able to honor God with this ministry that He has allowed us tobe apart of. Much Love, Katie





Melody with our small groups


Worship



Christian being Grandma Morgan



Alex about to drink the mystry drink



Jeff after getting half of his beard shaved off

No comments:

Post a Comment