Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Encouragement for staffers as the end of summer approaches.

This is a letter that I wrote to the Horn Creek Staff as I felt led to do so after the Lord kept reinforcing this spiritual analogy to me through my time in the office and interactions with hummingbirds:

As the summer wears on and will be quickly coming to a close, I just want to encourage you to keep your minds and hearts fixed on the things above as you press on to finish out this summer strongly. I have some food for thought that I’d like to share with you all that I really feel that the Lord has given me and has continually placed on my heart in the past few days to really drive home a lesson about the great news of the grace of our Lord Jesus that is displayed through the gospel.
Over the course of the past few days, there have been several different occasions that hummingbirds have flown into the office and have not been able to get out on their own accord. It saddens my heart to see these birds struggle for their freedom and for the insight into finding the path in which they are able to fly in order to receive that freedom. Watching the hummingbirds fly in and try to draw food and nourishment from the wood walls as well as getting caught up in continually hovering in the same places next to the windows, trapped on the inside of the glass, trying to escape, but not knowing the way out is a bit heart wrenching as well as it is frustrating. It’s so easy to look at this situation and think, “you are such a stupid bird, why don’t you just go through the door and then you’ll be outside and can fly, freely in the beauty of the Lord’s creation as well as being able to drink from the food that will nourish you because that’s where you were designed to be in order to thrive- outside!” But the only way that I could help them was to let them tire out and gently catch them to place them outside where they will not only survive, but thrive. If they were left inside for an extended period of time, they would surely die.
So often, this same principle is present in our lives. Imagine how the Lord feels when he sees us struggling, tiring, and flapping around trying to find a way of escape from this bondage that we so often find ourselves in through the sin in our lives. Yet He knows that there can be abundant life and freedom only found in Him and not when we try to find it on our own or in things that can never satisfy. Even though we can be so narrow sighted, by God’s great mercy, instead of responding in frustration, he is patient, gentle, and faithful with us despite our confused wandering and faithlessness. He’s waiting for us to tire out and come to a place of surrender and allow him to come to the rescue in order to direct us onto the path that brings life. It’s amazing to realize His omniscience and His great perspective into our situations. He truly knows best, but yet we can get so caught up in thinking that we know what’s best for us and what is right and how to live. So often we try to drink from wells that will not satisfy or that can harm us and yet we tirelessly continue to try to save ourselves and stay in bondage, even unknowingly. BUT there is another path that leads to life. It takes trust and faith in our awesome God, but ultimately its for our own good because He brings life, health, and freedom into our lives even if we don’t always have the foresight to see what He is really doing.
I challenge you and encourage you to take an assessment of where your heart is. Be honest and vulnerable before the Lord. Where are you trying to find satisfaction and fulfillment? Is it in things that do not satisfy or are you running to the fount of Living Water and the Bread of Life? For that is where we can find sustenance and life abundant. I don’t know about you, but for me I’ve been realizing just how similar I am to this hummingbird in that I keep trying to find my own path to life and freedom and peace, but in reality all I’ve been doing is hitting myself up against the window. Truly, I am in need of a savior to rescue me from myself to take me to a place of freedom that I cannot find on my own. I need to surrender. Where are you at?


Don’t forget that Jesus has already saved you and I both but yet we constantly need Him to continually renew us and set us free from the sin that so easily entangles us. Often I can forget this, and I challenge myself as well as you to be bold in proclaiming Christ and what he’s done on the cross and continues to do in our lives to renew us so that we are more apt to resemble him. Don’t listen to lies and deception that come from this world or from the evil one. Fight them off with the truth. Resist the devil and he will flee. Draw near to the lord and let his glory cover and protect you. Don’t be taken captive by the things of this world and of the hollow and deceptive philosophy, but allow the lord to transform and renew your mind with his word and truth so that it penetrates your entire being in how you live and act.
What immense grace that God has showered upon us, as his undeserving children! Stay strong in the Lord and in his mighty power, put on his armor and stand firm in His truth so that wherever you go you will shine forth his light and his truth and his glory. Press on as the summer comes to a close so that you can finish this ministry well. Remember that these campers who are coming up to camp towards the end of the summer haven’t been up here yet this year and are super excited. God is doing amazing work and I urge you to take part in that by helping to make their week an awesome week!

May the Lord bless you and keep you and make his face shine upon you.
Much love from your co-laborer in Christ,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment